Even though the technology with breast augmentation has advanced by leaps and bounds, it can be incredibly disappointing if your implant develops a problem and you need to get a breast revision. Morristown women who have problems with their implant should get it checked out and addressed as soon as possible. As a Harvard-educated doctor and a woman, Dr. Comizio has a unique understanding of how discouraging it can be for a woman to have to come in and get more work done on her implants.
If you’ve started to notice any changes in your implants or pain, give Dr. Comizio a call today at (973) 775-9248. We can set up a consultation appointment where the Dr. Comizio can talk with you about the problem, perform an examination, and then recommend the next steps to take. This can include getting additional tests or images taken of your implants.
Below we’ve outlined some of the common problems that women may face if their implants become hard, painful or malpositioned. Take a look at these and, again, it is almost always best to get these issues handled quickly so give us a call today.
Issues Fixed by Breast Revision
Morristown patients very rarely experience any issues with their breast implants. But the following are the most common problems.
- Capsular contracture – After your plastic surgeon places your implant, your body will naturally form a protective shell of scar tissue around it. Usually, this capsule remains thin and soft but it can sometimes thicken and calcify. When this happens it is called a capsular contracture and it usually causes the implant to show through the skin. Sometimes it can even cause pain.
- Change in size – Over time your body can change and the size of your implant may not look the way you want any longer. If you want to reduce or increase your implant size, a breast revision is a great way to do that.
- Saline or silicone leak – With saline implants a leak is very obvious because the implant will deflate. With silicone implants it can be less obvious since the material is thicker and not absorbed by the body. In the vase majority of cases the ruptured silicone material stays within the capsule. In rare cases, silicone can become extracapsular and form lumps of silicone, called granulomas that need to be removed as well.
- Implant malposition – If your implant has flipped, moved, or shifted inside the scar tissue “pocket”, it can cause your breasts to look uneven. This is often the case when the pocket is too large.
How Dr. Comizio Fixes Implants During Breast Revision
Morristown women often ask us about how Dr. Comizio actually goes about fixing problems with breast implants. Here are a few of the techniques she uses.
- Use fat – Dr. Comizio uses a technique called fat grafting where she takes fat from one part of the body and uses it to shape the breasts.
- Change the pocket – If your implant has shifted or rotated, Dr. Comizio may decide to decrease the size of the implant capsule. But in some cases she may enlarge the pocket.
- Swap out implants – For patients who have leaks, older implants, or want a different size, Dr. Comizio can change out the implants during the breast revision.
Morristown women who have implants and need them adjusted, changed out, or if you’re experiencing pain, call Dr. Comizio immediately at (973) 775-9248. Dr. Comizio has built her practice using a unique and powerful communication style with all of her patients. Dr. Comizio believes in working with her patients to develop a treatment plan that makes sense for them. Call us today and we’ll get you in to see the doctor and get your implant taken care of as soon as possible.